Tuesday, January 25, 2011

aros. The small wooden box

.
Who am I kidding when I say 
"I can't"
when the honest answer is
"I choose not to?"

*

Forced into a box
wooden
pine

Too small for me

Watching with disbelief image after image:
me standing, then forced to crouch, later kneel.
Resisting the relentless force, succumbing, energy waning,
exhausted
fighting the inevitable.

Finally wrestled into a tiny, hurt, painfully, uncomfortable thing.

Lid slammed on.
Nails hammered, angry and final.
The unseen force deaf to my weak pleas
now whispered from the suffocating dark.

My dream pinpoints with clarity
a forceful wakeup call to the mental anguish experienced in my workplace,
professional skills stifled constantly.

The choice to leave not easy
the healthful, long overdue decision is tough.


A Drabble is a story told in 100 words. No more, no less.

A river of stones is a project started by Fiona &Kaspa to encourage people to engage with the world through writing. In 2011 they invited people to join them in writing a small stone each day during January. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very dramatic. Thanks for this.

All the best, Boonie

Sue said...

Boonie, thanks for dropping by. I hadn't thought of the word dramatic, but perhaps you're right.