Saturday, February 12, 2011

Crunch time

.

Today’s post isn’t entirely about trees, but the product of a particular tree. I’ve always liked the idea of growing fruit trees. Apricot, nectarine, peach, lemon, lime and apple seemed good for starters.

But not having anything remotely resembling a green thumb, it’s been a bit of an uphill battle. Occasionally we’ve had a laden branch or two, but it’s been slim pickings generally. Except this year the apple decided to “go forth and multiply” enthusiastically.

The birds are full as a goog* and have waddled off elsewhere, and there’s only so many I can stew.


Any ideas cheerfully accepted.

.

A Drabble is a story told in 100 words. No more, no less.

* This is a strange expression. (Now there's an understatement!) When I was a child it was used as in the phrase "A googy egg". But to be "full as a goog" implies one has either eaten or drunk too much. Weird. I'm off to do some research.

8 comments:

Sara Chapman in Seattle, USA said...

Too many apples? Never. You can make applesauce (adding a red plum makes it pink!) and freeze it very well. I just wash and core but do not peel mine, which is easier and I like the taste better. You can make pies or a cobbler or a crisp (pieces of apples in a baking pan with some dough of some kind on top, baked) and then freeze that after it's baked. I think you can dry them but have not done it. And of course, you can make friends with the neighbors and give some away!

Sue said...

Sara Thankyou!!!! I've now got 2kilos of sauce, so that's about enough I think. I was just looking up the recipe for Dutch apple cake (?), but have never heard of the crisp, and hadn't thought of a cobbler. That's just what I needed, some NEW ideas.
I hadn't forgotten the neighbours, and will bag some up and take them over later on. I'm on a roll now!

Anonymous said...

We tried growing apples without success. It rather gave us the pip.
We use a similar expression to you – “As full as a google” – we use it when we’re searching for something to say.

Have a nice day, Boonie

Michelle said...

I hate our apple tree. So messy over a central part of the yard. Apples are always half rotten, never develop to full size and I can never be bothered doing anything with them anyway. Mine certainly look nothing like yours. Nice looking tree though and the Rosellas seem to appreciate it. The handy use for us is shade (hence why the chainsaw hasn't made an appearance), the dog (co-incidentally called Shade) loves to munch on them and play ball with them and the rabbits love to gnaw the branches to keep their teeth trim. But I loathe the mess. Only reason it stays is for shade but I'm thinking a chainsaw and shade-sails might be the best approach. ;-)

EG CameraGirl said...

The apples look crunchy and delicious! Applesauce is always popular at my house. :)

Sue said...

#Boonie, how on earth do you do it! I'd love to have a brain as 'full as a Google"
#Michelle, we gave it a severe talking to a year ago, and this is the result! We also use the "milk crate" method of pruning - stand on a milk crate and chop off everything above what you can comfortably reach. I'd forgotten our dog used to pluck the apples and just watch them drop. I miss her. It's worth keeping just for Shade.
#EGW, they sure are. I finally made a nice pudding as well :)

Anonymous said...

Re, How do I do it?: Just gifted I guess….
Unfortunately though my brain’s not as full as a Google, it’s more like ‘as empty as a Yahoo’……

Have a nice day, Boonie

Sue said...

You win Boonie! I'm going to find a clear plastic cover or a brollie for my computer ;)