Sunday, February 6, 2011

ShShSu #142. "International Year of Forests"

The United Nations has launched 2011 as the International Year of Forests, "Recognizing the role that forests play in everything from mitigating climate change to providing wood, medicines and livelihoods for people worldwide", this will be a year-long "celebration to raise awareness of the value of this important resource". The full article is available here.



*
My personal celebration (and challenge) will be to include trees in my blog as often as possible. I’m not sure if I’m up to it, but I’ll give it a red-hot go. I like trees, from many viewpoints.  They’re fantastic to paint, photograph, hug, climb and plant.

But I’d also like my children’s, children’s, children to have clean air to breathe, to experience the wonder of standing beside a living thing that is hundreds of years old, and to be mesmerised by fabulous colours and dappled light.

There are many other reasons, but that’s a hundred words, so I’ll stop.

*

"Shadow Shot Sunday" is hosted by Hey Harriet. Pop over to see shadows from around the world, it's fun!

A Drabble is a story told in 100 words. No more, no less.
.

20 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Terrific post for the day, Sue! And a gorgeous shadow shot! I feel exactly the same way about trees and their future! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Sylvia

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

The tree shadow looks as though it has been espaliered against the wall!

SILLY SHADOW DITTY

Shadows may or may not be
Patterns of urbanity.
If a shadow threatens you,
Here, my dear, is what to do:
Grab the shadow by the throat,
Toss it to a billy goat,
So the goat can chomp and chew,
Keeping it away from you!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Chiseled Shadows

Marvin said...

Great shadow. I too like trees. You might want to check out The Tree Year 2011, a tree huggers blogging meme of sorts.

Angie said...

Love your SSS! I have 2 big trees in my backyard, luckily my landlord loves them as well. I hate the way the developers are bulldozing all the bush up here. BTW the little crab ended up in the ocean.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Pretty shot!

My shadow shots

indicaspecies said...

A beautiful post. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I love this post, and that’s a great shadow shot.
Unlike you I’m trying to erase all tree references from my blog – particularly those to any bigger tree, and all Lavver Tree humour.

All the best, Boonie

BLOGitse said...

I really like your tree shots. I like trees too...
Have a great week ahead!

DawnTreader said...

I love trees and I'm thankful to have quite a few of them around even though I live in a town. This is a really great shadow shot with that tree against the wall.

Hootin Anni said...

Sue? That is ONE AMAZING photo!!!


A Seagull Shadow

Anonymous said...

That's a great canvas on which to capture this magnificent shadow.

Dianne said...

I love trees and I hope this campaign helps others to respect and treasure them

wonderful photo

Hootin Anni said...

PS...I just read your comment you left for me....and I wanted to stop by again to wish YOU a happy birthday on the 11th!!!

Anonymous said...

I love trees - this is an excellent shadow shot!!

Serendipity said...

That's a lovely shadow shot :-)

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

There's something I really like about tree shadows on the side of buildings...yours is a nice one!

Sue said...

Thankyou to everybody who visited and commented. It makes Monday morning very special. I only have time to comment personally on a few, Please don't be offended, I hope you understand that life presses in - so here goes:
Sylvia, it's good to know others feel the same.
MMT: love your fun ditty, thanks.
Marvin: thanks so much for the link, it looks interesting.
Angie thanks for the crab update. I'd love to knock some developers heads together, too many have no sense of beauty. glad yours have been kept.
Boonie: my husband was quite envious of your wit, he'll have to improve game to keep up with you. BRILLIANT!
Dianne; as a species I suspect we're way too shortsighted to follow through with the actions necessary, but I live in hope.
Annie: thankyou ;) (I know what my husband has bought me, and I'm excited!)
thanks again to everyone, lets hear it for the trees!

Martha Z said...

Trees, they give us shade and food as well as clean the air, they are worthy of our respect.

Beverley Baird said...

A lovely shadow and tree! Great shot!

Claire Chadwick @ Scissors Paper Rock said...

WOW, how cool is that tree shadow!
Just lovely!