Friday, February 4, 2011

The Goanna

.
gloomy, grey and humid
thunder rumbling ominously
Cyclone Yasi's affects 
felt thousands of kilometers away

a Summer of destruction all over my land

I search for a photo
to remind me of happier seasons.

A decent sized goanna
does the trick


that's how Summer should be!

and now a close up
(relatively speaking)


My brain's gone to sludge
my get up and go, got up and went

It's time to get out in the bush
smell the eucalypts and humus

load the panniers
escape for a while

Clear the cobwebs!
Stretch the limbs!

And avoid close encounters with the wildlife.

Definitely alive, but moving too slowly for my liking.
But in the right direction!


*

A Drabble is a story told in 100 words. No more, no less.

Photos taken on The East Gippsland Rail Trail.

.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this, although I always thought that ‘goanna’ was rhyming slang for ‘music keyboard’.
By the way, what kind of snake is that?

All the best, Boonie

Sue said...

Research completed:
The snake is possibly an Eastern Brown or a Copper Head, it's doubtful that it was a Red Bellied Black, but it did seem to have some red on its belly so maybe it was.
I suppose it's obvious I know next to nothing about our local snakes? I do know they're mostly venomous, and it's best not to irritate them as they can get a bit tetchy.

Aussie rhyming slang now. Impressive! Is there no end to your talents? Do you pun in your other languages too?