Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Ethical paper and the UN International Year of Forests

I was in the process of writing about ethical paper use, got distracted by a link on FB about one of our major paper providers, and wrote the following Drabble in response:

*
Officeworks is a trap for those susceptible to “shoppers vortex”. You know, the one where you get sucked in, and can’t find the exit? You wander aimlessly around the aisles mesmerised by glittery knickknacks, helpless to extract yourself from the vortex’s pull.

Unfortunately, Officeworks stocks Reflex paper.

Australian Paper, which makes Reflex, uses trees logged from native forests in our beautiful Central Highlands and Strzelecki Ranges to help make the paper. This impacts on waterways, plants and our endangered state emblem the Leadbeater’s Possum.

Reflex, it’s the International Year of Forests. Think of the future. Act ethically. Use plantation timbers.



*

A 100 word Drabble might not be the best vehicle to share information, but it saved me getting too hot under the collar, and stopped me rambling on and on.

The ABC aired an amazing documentary "Out of the Ashes" last week about the devastation created by the horrendous bushfires 2 years ago. The footage is fantastic!  They refer to the fish, Leadbeater's Possum and other creatures affected, as well as the forests and people and show what has happened since the fires, and how they are recovering (from the fires, not the logging).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. Very creative. Thanks for sharing.

All the best, Boonie

Cruella Collett said...

Very neat! I love your drabbles :)

As for paper - I use too much of it. But I do try to work paperless whenever I can, at least when I'm *at* work. At home I find it more difficult.